What is your mission or purpose?

Wow, that probably seems like a big question. And a little scary to think about. Take a deep breath and relax, it really isn't something you need to lose sleep over. I am guessing that if you had a moment of quiet time and focused you would hear your inner voice speaking to you.

For me, I have been working my mission for a few years. It was after dealing with a life-changing medical situation did I realize that I was not living my purpose. During the years that I was sick, I wrote - a lot - about my life. After I had come through some difficult times it was time for me to take control of my life and do what I was meant to do. I have presented workshops and talked to many women about the importance for them to state their mission and have helped to find a way to focus on what they value.


So, how do you get started? Let's start with a very important question.


Take out a piece of paper and number it from 1 -5. Answer these questions - don't think too much, write the first thing(s) that come to mind:


1. Who am I?



2. Who am I?



3. Who am I?



4. Who am I?



5. Who am I?


What's on your paper? Did you write: I'm a mother, a wife, a nurse, a caregiver to my parents...and so on. These are all wonderful and important roles in our society. Now, rip up that paper or be green and turn it over to write on the other side. Write the same five questions. What comes up now? Do words like: I am creative, I am likable, I am friendly, I am a strong individual...and so on. Hopefully, some words like this came up. If not, think about it a little more. Try not to think about the role you play in your house, career, or community, but go deeper and focus on who you are from a soul level. Write down what comes up for you - really tune into your life.


I have heard a lot of amazing mission statements - from "allow myself the permission to be creative and inspiring on a daily basis." to "prepare a homecooked meal at least 3 times a week and eat with my family."


One of my hopes is to build my business and work more with women who are wanting to reconnect with who they are and what their life's work is. If corporations rely on their mission statements to advise consumers of their goals and drive business, shouldn't we as individuals make the commitment to ourselves? How many of us would find ourselves not overscheduling ourselves or our families because we make the personal commitment to spend quality time together on the weekends? Or, how many of us would not be stressed if our mission was to stay with our company for X amount of years and then go back to school to finish the degree we've always wanted?

Start small - write one sentence and see if it resonates with you. Hopefully, this is just the first step into living the life you are meant to live.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Vision...

The Song in my Heart

Mindful Monday